Louis Gibbs

THE STRUGGLE WITHIN

A weighty question troubles my mind;

What, I ponder, could possibly be

The point and purpose of our existence?

 

At times I despair greatly at the seemingly

Complete absence of either point or purpose.

 

Dutifully, my wise and faithful muse chimes in;

"Have you forgotten all of that I have given you ...

Clear insights into the 'what and why' you ponder?"

 

I am humbled.

 

"Yes but, that is ... no.

It is not that I have forgotten,

It is simply that my oh-so-human mind

Slips in and out of esoteric comprehension,

Abandoning me to the mercy of an unrelenting ego,

Subjecting me to the vicious nature of the human experience."

 

I am left with naught but a desperate plea ...

Lord, help me cling to shards of my Higher Self, and

Endeavor to retain the greater wisdom of Soul's knowing!

 

 

Comments6

  • FredPeyer

    Love it, Louis! And the struggle goes on...
    I am with you, would love to know more!
    Don't know if it is true, but heard that we are only using 10% of our brain. Think how much further we would be in our thinking if we could unleash the other 90%!

    • orchidee

      Did I use ANY of my brain sometimes?! heehee.

    • Goldfinch60

      Very good write. The struggle for understanding will always be there but once our 'Higher Self' is set free we will understand.

    • Michael Edwards

      I do find that now I'm retired and with so much still to look forward to this kind of dilemma passes me by - great work Louis.

    • orchidee

      A fine write Louis. I don't quite understand what, or how, the 'Higher Self' may be.

    • Lorna

      I think there isn't one - a point that is. So it leaves a blank slate for you to put anything you want on it. Short of ax murder..........

    • dusk arising

      Hmmmm i too pondered long upon this until i discovered Buddhism which has no higher being, deity or god. It teaches you how to perceive. I'm not selling the idea but so many modern ideas on existence and spiritual matters do lead back to its teachings and it doesn't try to rope you into 'switching gods'.
      Nice thought provoking writing from you.



    To be able to comment and rate this poem, you must be registered. Register here or if you are already registered, login here.